The HDF-EOS To GeoTIFF Conversion Tool (HEG) is a tool developed to allow a user
to reformat, re-project and perform stitching/mosaicing and subsetting operations on
HDF-EOS objects. It can also reformats and re-project some SMAP, VIIRS and SRTM products.
The output GeoTIFF file is ingestible into commonly used GIS
applications. HEG will also write to HDF-EOS Grid & SWATH formats (i.e for Subsetting purposes)
and native (or raw) binary. HEG presently works with MODIS (AQUA and TERRA), ASTER, MISR, AIRS, and
AMSR-E HDF-EOS data sets.It also handles OMI HDF-EOS5 grid, SMAP L3/L4 HDF5 data sets, VIIRS L2/L3
netCDF/HDF-EOS5 products staged
at the DAACs, and some SRTM binary products at LPDAAC.
Brief Summary of Features include:
- Spatial (geolocation) Subsetting
- Band and Parameter (aka Field) Subsetting of HDF-EOS datasets
- Support for MODIS, ASTER, MISR, AIRS, AMSR-E, SRTM, VIIRS, and SMAP(and some OMI, MOPITT, etc)
(Check List of Supported Products for full details)
- Format Conversion of various output Format types: GeoTIFF, HDF-EOS GRID & SWATH,
MultiBand GeoTIFF, Multi-Band HDF-EOS GRID & SWATH, and native binary.
- Format Conversions without reprojection or manipulation of input data.
Allows data to remain in original unaltered state.
- Stitching (or mosaicing) HDF-EOS SWATH and GRID datasets
- Stitching with combinations of Reformatting/Reprojection/Subsetting Operations
- Data subsampling
- Control of various parameters including output pixel resolution and output projection parameters
- Metadata preservation and creation
- Java GUI
- Command-line interface (Useful for running batch jobs. This is usually seen in automated production
environments where large quantities of granules are processed.)
- Supported Platforms: LINUX, WINDOWS, SUN(old versions of HEG), and MAC OSX (built on Darwin Kernel Version 16.7.0)
For future HDF-EOS/HEG/HDFView plug-in release announcements
please join HDF-EOS Listserver! (Initiated May 23, 2012)
Please note that binaries for 2.12 and older have been removed from our download site.
New Features/Enhancements/Bug Fixes in version 2.14 (Released September 2017 )
New Features/Enhancements/Bug Fixes in version 2.13 (Released November 2015)
- 1) More bug fixes concerning issues with multiple runs, output GeoTIFF
reading problems by some GIS tools,
- 2) Improvement in GUI user interaction concerning field images
used for subsetting Lat/Lon settings
- - HDFEOS5 products
- - Swath products
- 3) Support for LINUX 32
- 4) Support for some new products
- o SMAP-S: Combined SMAP and Sentinel data for high-resolution
- Soil Moisture product
- o SRTM (Enhanced Shuttle Land Elevation Data from
- Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) binary data at LPDAAC:
- - SRTMGL1 (1-arc-second)
- - SRTMIMGR (1-arc-second)
- - SRTMIMGM (1-arc-second)
- - SRTMGL3 (3 arc-second)
- - SRTMGL3S (3 arc-second)
- - SRTMGL30 (30 arc-second)
- o VIIRS VNP10, VNP30, VNP21, and VNP14 L2 data
- o VIIRS VNP09A1, VNP09H1, VNP09GA, VNP13A1 and VNP09CMG L3 data
- (In addtion to these VIIRS L3 products, the shortnames for other VIIRS
L3 products are added to HEG. These products may also work with HEG
when they become available and have structure similar to VNP09A1 or
VNP09CMG. At the time of this release samples for only 5 L3 products
were available for testing.)
- 5) netCDF output for L2 products
- 6) MODIS/VIIRS Sinusoidal tile location image
- 7) Support for more than 20 Ellipsodal/Spherical Earth models/Datums
- 8) Support for Solaris 11 was dropped becuase of compiler problems
- 9) Support for Sinusoidal projection in GCTP for
Ellipsoidal earth model (WGS84), for support of datum/ellipsoid change
New Features/Enhancements/Bug Fixes in version 2.12 (Released February 2013)
- 1) More bug fixes concerning issues with multiple runs, output GeoTIFF
reading problems by some GIS tools, Subsetting MISR to requested
area (after stitching needed blocks), hang-up for some MISR
products, Stitch problems with MODIS swath granules, Better
interpolation for swath conversion
- 2) Improvement in GUI user interaction concerning field images for 3-D
and 4-D fields used for subsetting Lat/Lon setting
- 3) Support for Windows 8 and 10 and Solaris 11 (32-bit)
- 4) Internal batch processing for large quantities of granules from the same product.
- 5) Support for some new products
6) Subsetted Swath outputs for Swath inputs with hdf-eos output requests
7) HEG source code branching for HDF5 and HDF-EOS5 for quick support of other HDF5 and HDF- EOS5 products in future
8) Inclusion of Time field with geofields when swath output is
9) Support for Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area projection in GCTP for
Ellipsoidal earth model (WGS84), for support of SMAP EASE2 grid
- SPL3FTA: SMAP L3 Radar Northern Hemisphere Daily 3 km EASE-Grid Freeze/Thaw State
- SPL3SMA: SMAP L3 Radar Global Daily 3 km EASE-Grid Soil Moisture
- SPL3SMP: SMAP L3 Radiometer Global Daily 36 km EASE-Grid Soil Moisture
- SPL3SMAP: SMAP L3 Radar/Radiometer Global Daily 9 km EASE-Grid Soil
- SPL4SMAU: SMAP L4 Global 3-hourly 9 km Surface and Rootzone Soil
Moisture Analysis Update
- SPL4SMGP: SMAP L4 Global 3-hourly 9 km Surface and Rootzone Soil
Moisture Geophysical Data
- SPL4SMLM: SMAP L4 Global 9 km Surface and Rootzone Soil Moisture
Land Model Constants
- SPL4CMDL: SMAP L4 Global Daily 9 km Carbon Net Ecosystem Exchange
- MOD09_L2: MODIS Terra Level 2 surface reflectance
- MYD09_L2: MODIS Aqua Level 2 surface reflectance
- MOD04_3K: MODIS Terra Near Real Time NRT Level 2 aerosol product
- MYD04_3K: MODIS Aqua Near Real Time NRT Level 2 aerosol product
- AE_SID Level-3 gridded product: AMSR-E/Aqua Daily L3 6.25 km Sea Ice Drift Polar Grids (sea ice speed and direction)
- MISR_HR_TIP MISR SOM grid with Unstacked blocks
- MISR_HR_RPV MISR SOM grid with Unstacked blocks
- MISR_HR_BRF MISR SOM grid with Unstacked blocks
New Features/Enhancements/Bug Fixes in version 2.11 (Released March 2011)
- 1) More bug fixes concerning performance issues when default
values are used for some output projectuions such as Lambert
Azimuthal, Lamber Conformal Conic, Tranvscerse Mercator,
- 2) Improvement in GUI user interaction concerning subseting and
3) Fixes for better handling of output UTM and State Plane
- - Selected Field image for grids and getting subset corners
by dragging mouse on the image
- - row/colunm subsetting in addtion to lat/lon subsetting
- - restting default subset corners after changes made to
- - default and selected pixel size view along with the
appropriate units for the selected projection
4) Reading paramter file and auto filling of windows in GUI
5) Support for 5 and 6 dimensional MISR grid files
6) Performance improvement for grid conversions(Chunk input
reading instead of line-by-line reading of input field data)
7) Preserving input datum for output projection
8) Internal chunking and compressing of output hdf-eos files
for small size outputs
9) Support of HEG for MAC Intel (developed and tested on
10) Allowing to stitch all 180 MISR blocks if memory is
11) More fixes for bugs reported by users or discovered during
- - Same input/output pixel numbers for EASE grid when No-
Reprojection is used (AMSR_E Daily Snow)
- - MOD11_L2 version 5 support
- - Opening of MODIS Sinusoidal grid files containing edge tile
- - Add ellipsoid code for State Plane projected output
New Features/Enhancements/Bug Fixes in version 2.10 (Released December 2009)
- Numerous bug fixes concerning performance issues when default values are used for some output projectuions such as Lambert Azimuthal, Lamber Conformal Conic, Tranvscerse Mercator, Polar Streographic.
- Improvement in GUI error checking/user interaction.
- Fixes for better handling of output UTM and State Plane Projection.
New Features/bug fixes in version 2.9 (Released August 2008)
- Added support for:
- AMSR-E Daily 25 Km Sea Ice AE_SI25
- AMSR-E Daily land AE_Land3
- MOD29E1D: MODIS/Terra Sea Ice Extent and IST Daily L3 Global 4km EASE-Grid Day, Version 4
- Tested many new products and updated the list of Hegable MODIS, ASTER, AIRS, MISR, and AMSR-E
products in HEG Users Guide and HEG web site
- Added new projection, Cylindrical Equa Area (CEA), to support AMSR-E Daily Land product.
- Made it possible to output all fields in a file to a single HDF-EOS output when HDF-EOS output is requested.
- Pixel size unit correctiom: for consistency between conversion and stitch GUIs.
- Resolved problems with several products such as MOD43C3, MOD10CM, MOD29P1N, AE_RnGd, AE_Rain
- Support for pixel resampling for gridded data with No-Reprojection
- Correcting sphere radius written to outputs for MODIS SIN grids
- Resolving problems
- with band selection in stitch GUI
- with unneeded re-setting of projection parameters for multiband geotiff
- with occasional core dump (runs that take long time to complete) in Datapool HEGserver
New Features in version 2.8
- Added support for:
- ASTER 07XT : ASTER On-Demand L2 Surface Reflectance VNIR
- ASTER 09XT : ASTER On-Demand L2 Surface Radiance VNIR
- AMSR-E Rain: AMSR-E/Aqua L2B Global Swath Rain Rate/Type GSFC Profiling Algorithm
- AMSR-E Weekly Ocean: AMSR-E/Aqua Weekly L3 Global Ascending/Descending .25x.25 deg Ocean
- AMSR-E Monthly Ocean: AMSR-E/Aqua Monthly L3 Global Ascending/Descending .25x.25 deg Ocean Grids
- AMSR-E 5 Day Smow: AMSR-E/Aqua 5 Day L3 Global Snow Water Equivalent EASE-Grids
- AMSR-E Monthly Snow: AMSR-E/Aqua Monthly L3 Global Snow Water Equivalent EASE-Grids
- AMSR-E Daily 12 Km Sea Ice: AMSR-E/Aqua daily L3 12.5 km Tb, Sea Ice Conc., & Snow Depth Polar Grids
- AMSR-E Daily 6 Km Sea Ice: AMSR-E/Aqua Daily L3 6.25 km 89 GHz Brightness Temperature (Tb) Polar Grids
- AMSR-E Rain Grid: AMSR-E/Aqua Monthly L3 5x5 deg Rainfall Accumulations
- Creation of Multiband files in Datapool, when the field is multiband
- Interpolation correction with AIRS products containing fillvalue in the data fields
- Pixel size unit correctiom for (consistency) in conversion and stitch GUIs.
- Correction for droping a column when stitching MODIS SIN tiles.
- Correction to ignoring of Geographic pixel size and processing with default pixel size
- Spatial subsetting fix for global AMSR-E garanules, and subsetting support for other AMSR-E products
- Correction for ignoring re-projection interpolation type NN after stitching
New Features in version 2.7
- Support for Albers Conical Equal Area Projection.
New Features in version 2.6
- Support for AMSR-E L3 GRID products in Polar Stereographic and EASE-Grid projections.
Upcoming new features (soon)
- Support for all AMSR-E L2 SWATH products and AMSR-E L3 GRID (in Geographic projection).
- Correction for ASTER DEM products. Presently, the sides of the output GeoTIFF image are
cut off due to missing data in the internal geolocation fields of the ASTER DEMs.
Since the geolocations are in a path-oriented UTM GRID (even though it's a SWATH product),
the missing geolocations could then be accurately interpolated.
- New "Subsetter" functionality for Parameters (aka Fields). This results in:
- Output to HDF-EOS SWATH from input HDF-EOS SWATH (i.e. for ASTER SWATH, MODIS SWATH).
This allows for output data which is unaltered from a projection operation - for input
of HDF-EOS SWATH data.
- Output to HDF-EOS GRID from input HDF-EOS GRID without any projection operation or
altering of input data
"Subsetter" functionality allows for the creation of smaller data sets from large input
HDF-EOS SWATH or GRID data sets. (Many HDF-EOS data granules are quite large.)
This is done by selecting a smaller selection of Fields from the full list available
in the input. A NO_REPROJECTION option is performed so that output data values are
unaltered from the input.
"Subsetter" functionality can also be used in combination with reprojection, spatial subsetting,
pixel size manipulation, etc.
- Output of Multi-Band HDFEOS data sets (multiple bands in one output HDF-EOS file; previously,
HEG only outputs one band/field per HDF-EOS output file). Multiple bands are placed
in one Object in the HDF-EOS data set.
- Support of HDF-EOS data which has slight (but important) descrepancies in the HDF-EOS standard:
- Support for MOD43C1, MOD43C2, MOD43C3, MCD43C1, MCD43C2, MCD43C3, MOD12C1, MYD12C1,
These data sets incorrectly define the corner points of the GRID in DD instead of DMS units.
HDF-EOS readers will not be able to read these data unless they make modifications for this
- Support of MOD11_L2. These data use incorrect fillvalues in the Lat/Lon geolocations.
The data incorrectly uses -999.0 when the internal metadata specifies that fillvalues are -999.9.
- Support for AIRS L3 products (in Geographic projection).
- Support for MISR L3 products (in Geographic projection).
Possible upcoming new features (further in the future)
- Support for more VIIRS products
- Support for ICESAT-2 L3/L4 products
BUGS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS, or SUGGESTIONS? Please Contact Us!
- Support for more AURA data and other SMAP products
- Feature to help work with bit fields in the MOD35_L2 Cloud Product.
- MultiBandGeoTIFF for STITCH/MOSAIC output.
Let us know if you have particular interest in some of the above or if you
have other suggestions! We appreciate your feedback